How can we live lightly on the earth and save money at the same time?
Go green and save green
Many of us are trying to find ways to save energy and reduce our carbon footprint. Here are some things you can do today to help reduce your environmental impact and save money:
Save energy, save money
- Set your thermostat a few degrees lower in the winter and a few degrees higher in the summer.
- Install compact fluorescent lightbulbs (CFLs) when your incandescent bulbs burn out.
- Unplug appliances when you’re not using them. Or, use a “smart” power strip that senses when appliances are off and cuts “phantom” or “vampire” energy use.
- Wash clothes in cold water whenever possible and use a drying rack or clothesline.
Save water, save money
- Take shorter showers to reduce water use.
- Install a low-flow showerhead.
- Make sure you have a faucet aerator on each faucet.
- Plant drought-tolerant native plants in your garden.
Less gas = more money
- Walk or bike to work, if possible. This is good for your wallet and good for your health.
- Consider telecommuting, if possible.
- Consider using public transportation, if available.
- Consider car-pooling.
Think before you buy
- Invest in high-quality, long-lasting products and buy in bulk whenever possible.
- Make your own cleaning supplies; all you need is baking soda, vinegar, lemon and soap.
Stay informed about going green. For more information, contact me or visit Worldwatch Institute. Go Green and Save Green.
Back to Resources