Auto smarts

Insurance Gaps: comprehensive and collision coverage

Auto Liability insurance (the type of coverage you typically needed to drive legally) works to cover you and pay for damages you may cause if you’re ever at fault in an accident.

The thing is, liability coverage doesn’t do anything for your car. If you’re at fault, your busted bumper, broken headlight, or dented door is 100% your responsibility if you’ve only purchased liability coverage.

So what?

Let’s say you’re driving to work and reach to change the radio station. The van driving ahead of you suddenly stops short, and you rear end them. Now, if you’re at fault in the accident, your liability insurance should cover damages to the van and its passengers, but your car is damaged, too. Who’s going to pay to fix your car?

That's a major coverage gap!

Question: If you hit something and damage your car, what insurance do you need to cover your damages?

Answer: Comprehensive and Collision coverage

Comprehensive and Collision coverage is only for you and your vehicle.

  • Comprehensive insurance covers damages from things outside your control, like fire, theft, vandalism, hail, floods, earthquakes, or contact with animals.
  • Collision coverage is basically what it sounds like. Hit something like a guard rail or another car? Collision insurance covers the damage resulting from the collision.

Talk to your Farmers Agent today about adding Comprehensive and Collision coverage to your policy.

FYI: If you lease or finance your car, you may be required to hold Comprehensive and Collision coverage. So talk to your Famers Agent and schedule a Farmers Friendly Review to make sure you have the coverage you want.

The information contained in this page is provided for general informational purposes only, and is not meant as professional or expert advice. Every attempt is made to ensure accuracy and timeliness, however all content is presented without guarantees.

Back to Resources